Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Toddler Insomnia?

Cute little Eva does not like to sleep. Sometime I check on her when I am going to bed and she is sitting there quietly playing. Sometimes she cries in her bed when it's dark. (If I let her go, she will keep crying for half hour... that's as long as I've been able to stand it.) Sometimes I hear her wandering around the house at night. Also the girls share a room and the last couple weeks, Eva's sleep habit have been rubbing off on Naiya. I put my girls to bed around 8. Although sometimes she goes right to sleep, it usually takes her at least 30 minutes until she is out. They wake up between 6:30 and 7. IF (and the "if" is not due to a lack of trying) she naps during the day it's only for an hour or so. That means at best she would be getting 12 hours of sleep, but it's probably more like 9 1/2 to 10. Not enough!! We all know that not enough sleep for baby equals cranky/moody baby. We know that not enough sleep for mommy equals cranky mommy too. Any advice? Is toddler insomnia even a thing?
BTW- Do you think I'll still be calling her a baby when she is 13? ;)

8 comments:

Ware Family said...

I can't even comment on the insomnia thing. Just thinking about not getting sleep reverts me back to Jackson's infant days and it still hasn't been long enough to go there. Yes, I know he's turning 5 this year.
I will say I'm sorry!

By the way, I think we all called my youngest brother a baby until he was around 6 or 7. Thankfully we didn't make it to 13, but halfway there!

Anonymous said...

Do you remember baby George? I think he was about seven or eight when people at work kindly mentioned it is time to change it perhaps to little George. In any case, one more thing came to my mind - the temperature in their bedroom - see if it helps when you open the window for a few minutes just before they go to bed. I know you keep the house reasonably cool, but they are used to that and so it might make a difference. If you try that you will need to cover her before you go to bed with a warm cover. Good luck, mom

Erica said...

Sweet little Eva! I know that sometimes kids have a hard time going to sleep, but a good routine makes bedtime 100000% easier. I'm sure you've already established one, so all I can say is stick to it and she'll find her groove. Sleep is so heavenly, isn't it? :o)

Jen M said...

I try and call my 8 year old son a baby sometimes. Only when were teasing him. Yeah he doesnt like it. I'm so sorry about eva not going to sleep very well. What comes to mind right now is Supernanny. She would always ofcourse make sure to have a consistant bedtime routine and when putting your kids to bed. Ist time say its bedtime , 2nd time say bedtime with no eye contact. Third time they get up , just put them back into there bed, without saying anything. Then everytime after that if they keep getting out of bed. just keep putting them back in until they fall asleep. Well you may already know all this. For me usually with just a regular bedtime routine.. bath, brush teeth, stories. My kids usually go to sleep right away. Megan sometimes gets up and just stales.. she wants to talk or wants more water. Good thing kids are so cute!

Lucie said...

I appreciate the comments and suggestions. We do have a bed-time routine and a consistant bed-time. She seems to go to sleep fairly well. It's more of a waking up in the middle of the night thing...?

Mel said...

All I can say is sorry! That is the worst. I am so crappy when I don't get enough sleep. Hopefully it is just a stage that will pass quickly!

The Richardsons said...

We recommend putting both of them on a treadmill at top speed for the hour leading up to bed time. I imagine that would tire her out sufficiently to sleep through the night. :)

*Ashleigh* said...

Does she have a lovie? I always tell Kahner if he wakes up in the night, to find his puppy and Giraffe and they will make him happy so he can sleep again... it's worked so far... I wish you the best of luck! I hope you find something that works... sleepy mommies AND sleepy babies are not a good combo.