Saturday, May 26, 2012

To be or not to be?

So... I think  I can call myself a runner now.  I've been putting it off.  I see a lot of "real" runners out there doing their daily run.  I run, but I don't know if I'd call myself a runner.  I started running on January 2nd when a friend asked me to join her team for the Ragnar Race for June 15th.  I ran and  s.l..o...w....l.....y built up some miles and improved my pace.   Do I run at my goal pace?  Nope.   Have I reached my goal weight? Nope.  (In fact I haven't lost a pound- not 1- since I started running 5 months ago.) Do I run?  Yup.  Do I like it?  Yup.  Well then, I guess I might be a runner. 
In the last month and a half, I've run a 10 miler, a 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles), two 5K's (3.2 miles) and now a 7 mile trail run.  Although running doesn't define who I am. I am a lot of things before I am a runner. (My running schedule proves that.) BUT, when I saw this post-race picture today, I made it official:
Anyone who can run 'til their face is that red... in the cold and rain (okay, just a drizzle.. but it was windy and cold!) and think of it as a "super fun" morning must be a runner.  And I was just a little jealous when I saw my cute friend Casey's bloody elbow after she ate it.  (I don't know if that makes me more of a runner... It might just make me weird.)  
Plus I got like 5th place.  That kinda rocked too. ;)  


No comments: