So... This week has been particularly interesting as far as my Whole30 Challenge is concerned. We had a family dinner last Sunday, parent conferences at school on Monday and Tuesday afternoon/evenings & Halloween (with all it's festivities) on Wednesday... not to mention teaching kids on a crazy sugar high Thursday and Friday. (Side note: Can we all just agree to make Halloween officially the last Friday of October?)
In addition to a busy week, I have been faced with one of my favorite foods on three occasions in one week... pizza. (Yes, when it comes to favorite food, I'm like a typical 8 year old.) On top of that, there's been the usual Halloween festivities (donuts, cookies, apple cider...) to politely decline (while holding back tears). Not to mention that this is still sitting on my counter:
So in an effort to overcome the sugar monster that still tempts me every time I walk by that over-sized bowl, I'm going to focus on new things I've discovered while doing this challenge.
First up:
What is that? It is blueberries in coconut milk..... and kinda tastes a little like heaven. Maybe it's just because i haven't had any sugar/honey/sweetener in 22 days, but I LOVE IT! If you like coconut, then try it and let me know if it's just me (and my lack of sugar/dairy).
Now that I mentioned my lack of dairy, I have to admit that there is one tiny bit of dairy that is Whole30 approved. This:
Ghee is clarified butter. This is a purchase I finally made a couple days ago so that I had an alternative to cooking in olive oil and had something else to put on my vegetables. It's been a happy addition to my diet.
Next up, coconut water. Yes, I drink coconut water. The nasty kind that smells (and tastes) like bad breath. Wait... I should correct that. I DRANK that coconut water. From now on I will drink this coconut water:
Sweet, fresh, & yummy. Even my girls liked it. That's saying a lot.
Finally, I have been using this organic seasoning in some of my cooking:
I LOVE it in my eggs in the morning. No artificial anything, no preservatives, yada yada yada. It's good.
So, maybe these discoveries don't replace pizza or treats, but they have made it easier to stick with the challenge... and even think about continuing beyond the 30 days.... we'll see.





3 comments:
Way to go is all I can say! Maybe some day I will have the strength, courage to join you. :)
Mel- This is supposed to be a great way for pregnant ladies to eat. It is similar to the diet many ladies are put on if they develop gestational diabetes. (However, I don't think for a second that I could do it if I were pregnant.)
Post a Comment