Saturday, May 21, 2016

The Great Eruption of 2016

This week for us was… well an experience, that’s for sure! 
Monday in the middle of the night Tennessee started throwing up. It was the saddest thing because he had no clue what was happening and I couldn’t explain it to him. Every time, he would want to nurse and then would get sick again 15-30 minutes later.  This went on for pretty much all of Tuesday. He would fall asleep for a couple hours here and there, but was even getting sick in his sleep. It was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I’ve never had one of my kids get this sick this young, (but neither of the girls liked to lick the sidewalk either, so…). 
By Wednesday when things were not getting better I packed up a bucket, a tarp and took Tennessee to the doctor. They drew blood (super traumatic for him because he was so dehydrated) and said that the blood test showed that he was… dehydrated (mmmm… pretty sure the fact that it took the girl 15 minutes, 3 pokes, and 2 helpers to get some blood could have clued them in on that without actually running the test, but whatever). Then they sent us up to Primary Children’s to get fluids and anti-nausea meds.  That worked fine, and within a few hours they said we could go home.  He seemed back to his normal self (wanting to wheel the doctor’s chair around the room laughing and asking when we could go back to “momma’s car”).
Thursday was a slight decline for Tenn and a huge one for me. I got the bug late Wednesday night and all I could think about was how sad I felt that Tennessee had been feeling that awful. (It was really, REALLY awful).  He was a little feeling better, but was a good boy and spent much of the day napping with me and he was holding in enough fluids that I knew he wasn’t getting too dehydrated again. He just wasn’t super comfortable. The girls were really helpful when they got home from school and Jared took over when he got home from work. Thank goodness.
By Friday afternoon I was feeling okay and Tennessee had gone 24 hours without any puking. Since we were running low on supplies, I decided to venture out to the grocery store. Let’s just say that that story ends with a messy baby, no groceries and me thinking that I’m not going back to that grocery store any time soon.  Yuck!
Friday night Naiya and Jared got sick.  I’m not sure how else to put it other than that it has been a battle zone here.  Tenn still isn’t keeping things down and I feel like I’ve been running back and forth getting/helping/cleaning something for someone constantly. At the moment all is quiet (except for the sound of the washing machine… that has been a constant during this ordeal). Fingers crossed that everyone is feeling better in the morning and that Eva remains super-humanly immune to whatever this is! 
Other than “The Great Eruption of 2016,” the girls had their choir concert on Wednesday (I missed it), Eva had her voice recital on Friday (Jared missed that). Everything  was lovely and the girls did great. Thank goodness for video cameras to help capture those special moments. 
Eva’s soccer game got rained out this morning and Naiya had to miss her game today. She was super sad because it was the last game of the season, but what can you do?
This week I have reflected on how grateful I am to live in the time and place that we live. I kept thinking about how when we were babies, my mom had to wash everything by hand and line dry it. I am spoiled with a washer and dryer plus a dishwasher and loads of bleach. (I am all about the natural cleaners, but when there is puke involved, I’m not taking any chances.) I am so happy to have a flexible schedule that I could cancel my tutoring and postpone my school meetings and course work.  I am grateful for good doctors that take care of our babies, for thoughtful brother that send edible fruit bouquets to brighten your day, and for amazing friends that drop of groceries on your porch just when you need them the most. Mostly I am grateful that at this very moment it has been 6 hours since I have had to clean any of these messes because that means we are moving in a good direction.  
Next week is full of field trips, Naiya’s 5th grade party, Eva’s University of Learning graduation, and a 4 day weekend (WAHOO!). Please pray that everyone is recovered and able to participate in all the fun activities. 

Wishing you a happy (and healthy) week!

 xoxo
Lucie et al

No comments: