Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Lent

I am not Catholic. I do, however like the idea of Lent. I think it is good to practice self control. I think it is good to evaluate your habits and make sure that you aren't developing addictions (it can be a fine line).
I try to give something up each year after Fat Tuesday until Easter. It usually doesn't last. This year I am giving up coffee, but not just any coffee, McDonald's McCafe coffee. I was not a big coffee drinker. Sure I had a cup now and again with my friends in high school. I had a cup at the diner after leaving a club late at night, but I hadn't had a cup of coffee in at least 6 years. Until.... It was time to go back to work full time. You see timing is everything. It just so happens that my returning to teaching was timed perfectly with McDonald's selling their new McCafe beverages. It took one. In the summer as I was getting my classroom ready it started with iced mochas. I'd have one on the way to the school and sip on it to stay cool and stay awake. I kept telling myself that when school started I would stop. Then school started. I was still tired... even more so. So I'd stop by on my way home to get through the rest of the day. I told myself when it got colder I would stop. The problem with that, is that they also make hot mochas. They are even better than the iced. You can see where this is going.
On the Monday before Fat Tuesday, I had 3, oh yeah, 3 hot mochas. The last time I pulled into the drive through on my way to Neema's with the girls Naiya and Eva said in unison "One large hot mocha nonfat, please." That is when you know you have a problem.
Hi, my name is Lucie. It has been 15 days since my last drink. I could really use one today.

2 comments:

Ware Family said...

I am not Catholic either, but I'm also participating in Lent. I love the idea of self control and trying to be better also. I'm not doing anything crazy like giving up chocolate, etc. (I did that in January for New Year's and I can't subject myself to it again so soon).
I am, however, giving up yelling at my kids. It's not that I have anger issues, it's just that I feel like I'm always trying to yell OVER the kids. And I think the kids see it as permission to yell AT me, which I don't like. So I'm trying to be a better example and speak better at home, which is SO HARD because it takes a LOT of patience to have them listen and obey when they don't feel like their very lives are in danger. I guess this is exactly why I'm doing it.
Did you know you can take Sundays "off" during Lent? Which kinda defeats the purpose, so I'm not doing it, and also I'm sure it would look weird for me to be letting out my whole week's worth of stifled up frustration out in church. :)

Lucie said...

I don't like the idea of skipping Sunday's either (so I am not). I'd also like to say that I did NOT give in yesterday. :)