Monday, February 9, 2015

A Little Insane, but not Impossible

Remember when this happened 3 1/2 months ago?

Well about 8 1/2 months before that happened I had registered to run my first ultra marathon, an amazing 55k (34 mile) trail run though Canyon De Chelly in AZ. It wasn't too far fetched at the time of registration. I'd been putting in the miles and was up to almost 20 miles on my long run days.

The thing is both that little guy and the race were due to happen on the same day. Clearly the race wasn't happening, so I pulled out of to let someone else have my spot. They only take about 150 runners, and last year it sold out in 5 minutes, so I'm sure someone one the waiting list was thrilled.

I did run during the first part of my pregnancy and even completed a 33k  (20.5 miles) trail run in Moab at the end of February. That race made me realize that maybe I was pushing a little too hard and I started to back off.  My long runs became 10 miles... then 5 miles... then 3 miles.... and then I switched to walking all together.  I was still able to walk (waddle) 4-5 miles a day on the days before that cute little nugget arrived, but walking is not running... and after that cute little nugget arrived even my walking mileage dropped off for a while.

Flash forward to now.  When T turned 2 months old, I started running a little.  I'm not as consistent as I need to be, but I do go out on runs around the neighborhood.  It feels better and better to get out, but I kind of feel like I could use an event to focus my training on... Do you see where I'm going with this? 

8 months from tomorrow I will be in Arizona running (and probably walking... and possibly crawling) my way through a beautiful canyon with 150 other people.  It can't be all that hard, right?   Running with a jogging stroller has got to be close to the same thing as running on sandy trails...  I mean 34 miles is like running around the block... 48 1/2 times.  A little insane, but not impossible.

2 comments:

Marci said...

You are crazy . Best of luck to you.

Mel said...

You are amazing!