Tuesday, June 9, 2009

What Would You Do?

I know I haven't posted anything about my trip to Seattle, and I promise I will (later), but...
While I was gone my parents took my girls to a BBQ. At said BBQ there was a cute little toddler who Eva referred to as the "baby" and whose mom was expecting her second child. Apparently they were hanging out with the mom and her son for most of the BBQ and something must have rubbed off. Upon my return, the girls spent the first 3 days stuffing animals, dolls and all sorts of things up their shirts and then would pull them out "having a baby" (or two, or three, or four). They thought this was hilarious. I think it's funny too because they have been around friends of mind who were pregnant quite a bit and never made a big deal about it.
Now, flash forward a couple of weeks. Today, we were at the grocery store (again) and as I'm pushing the cart, my cute Naiya in a very excited and LOUD voice yells out "Look mommy they are having a baby!!!" But alas, not so much! Now I have to point out that in the last two weeks, we have come accross SEVERAL pregnant ladies (we do live in Utah, after all) and not a once did either child say anything. Why, then did she choose this time when the person was NOT pregnant? I may never know. What does one do is such a situation?! I chose to quickly change course and in a hushed voice explained that not everyone who has a belly has a baby in it and that that isn't really something we talk about in public unless we know the person and KNOW that they have a baby in there. Yikes! So now I want to know, in this situation, what would you do?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that girl! She is beyond funny. Just don't make a big deal about it, explain to her again at home without people around that it is not polite to talk about other people or to point at other people, that they might feel sad and next time if she thinks she needs to tell you something important she should just whisper it to you. But in any case, I love children's inocence. I am sure she was happy for that person. :)

Erica said...

Oh, I've had that happen and it is MORTIFYING!! We went to a restaurant and a girl who worked there walked in and Dylan saw her and announced, "She's big!" Oh heavens. I wanted to floor to open and swallow us up! Luckily the girl didn't appear to have heard us, so I explained to Dylan that people come in all shapes and sizes and that it's not very nice to talk about how big or small they are because it might make them feel bad. But I agree - kids are just so innocent and things they say are usually not done in malice. You handled it perfectly!

Ware Family said...

What would I do? I don't know.
What am I doing right now? Laughing--that is really funny (of course, because it's not my child!)

Jen M said...

Oh geese that's too funny. Though if one of my kids did that in public. I would be very apologetic to the person in the store. Then of course explain to my kid that is something we can never say or yell out to a stranger or anyone in public. Though I wouldn't take it too serious. Kids are very innocent... They don't usually know the meaning of what they say or do can offend someone.

Brookie Biggers said...

OH my goodness! I needed a good laugh! Thats awesome... I can't believe the things kiddos do sometimes.

Lucie said...

I do want to say that I don't think the person made the connection that Naiya was excited about their "pregnancy." That is why I tried to make a quick getaway and didn't apologize.