Wednesday, August 13, 2008

100 Thing Challenge!

Dang it! Here I go reading articles again!! Soo.... This time I read an article about this guy who is doing a 100 Thing Challenge. He is cutting down all of his possessions to 100 things and will try to live with just 100 possessions for one full year. Why? To bring attention to how commercialized we all are and to how much stuff we have. Stuff? I am the queen of stuff! Oddly enough even before I read this article, I have become increasingly irritated with all of the stuff we have (especially in our basement which is 1/8 completed and at a stand still). So realistically. there is no way I would ever be able to live off of 100 possessions with 2 kids and a husband. Even if we each had 100 things it wouldn't be enough. Look around yourself right now. How fast would 100 things add up? Yeah, not gonna happen. I, being the freak that I am, feel like I have to do something, though. So I am doing my own 100 thing challenge. I am giving myself one month to get rid of (sell, donate or toss) 100 things (mostly my things) in our house. Each time I buy something new for myself, I have to give one extra thing away. I got a good start today already when I went through our bedroom. Here's the list so far:

1. Bathing suits -2 (No need for bikinis with these stretch marks!)
2. Underroos-lots (Don't need those big prego underoos and nursing bras any more!)
3. Socks- lots
4. pajamas- 3 sets
5. workout clothes- 7
6. jewelry- 20 pcs.
7. Nail stuff- lots (How many yucky sealed-shut polishes does one need to hang on to?)
8. sunglasses- 1 pair
9. hats- 2 (Ever seen me wear a hat? Chances are no!)
10. hangers- 20+
11. Jeans -2
12. shorts- 2
13. jackets- 2
14. sweaters- 1
15. shirts- 8

So far it's been like a nice spring cleaning. My dresser and closet are much more organized now and I was able to make a little nook in our closet for my jewelry/lotions. All it needs is a little mirror!

I know that technically I don't get to count all these until I sell/donate/toss them but I am setting things aside for the yard sale I hope to have in a few weeks.
*** side note...If you see me reading ANYTHING please stop me! :)

No comments: